South Barrington Community Information


Barrington Courier Review
200 James St
Barrington, IL  60010

Chicago Tribune
435 N Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611

Daily Herald
PO 280
Arlington Heights, IL 60004


1515 S Grove St
Barrington  60010

Garbage and Refuse GROOT INDUSTRIES
Electric COM ED
Underground Utility Locator J.U.L.I.E.
RADON HOTLINE 800-244-4242
WATER All residential homes in the Village are on private wells
SEPTIC/SEWER Most residential homes in the Village have their own septic system. Willowmere and Farmington Ridge Subdivisions have their own private sewer system with homeowners paying sewer charges through their homeowner assessments.
TELEPHONE SERVICES If you have current service, call the number on your bill.  To establish service, call one of the local telephone companies listed in the phone directory. De-regulation has allowed multiple companies to provide phone service.
South Barrington Police Department Office: 847-381-7511
FIRE - The correct fire department will respond: 911
Barrington Countryside Fire Protection District: 847-381-2121
East Dundee Fire Protection District: 847-426-7521
Hoffman Estates Fire Department: 847-882-5155

St. Alexius Medical Center                        Good Shepherd Hospital
1555 N. Barrington Road                          450 W. Highway 22
Hoffman Estates, IL                                 Barrington, IL
(847) 843-2000                                      (847) 381-9600

Northwest Community Hospital                Alexian Brothers Medical Center
800 W. Central Road                                800 Biesterfield Road
Arlington Heights, IL                                Elk Grove Village, IL
(847) 618-1000                                      (847) 437-5500


Barrington Community Unit School District 220
District Administration Offices: 847-381-6300
Barbara B. Rose Elementary School: 847-844-1200
Prairie Campus Middle School: 847-304-3990
Station Campus Middle School: 847-381-0464
Barrington High School: 847-381-1400

Palatine School District 15 (Windemere Subdivision)
District Administration Offices: 847-963-3000
Thomas Jefferson School: 847-963-5400
Carl Sandburg, Jr High School: 847-963-7800

Palatine-Schaumburg Township High School District 211 (Windemere Subdivision)
High School District 211: 847-755-6600
William Fremd High School: 847-755-2600


Barrington Area Public Library: 847-382-1300
505 N Northwest Highway, Barrington 60010

Palatine Public Library (Windemere): 847-358-5881


South Barrington Park and Tennis Club
South Barrington Park District: 847-381-7515
3 Tennis Club Dr, South Barrington 60010

Cook County Forest Preserve District:
Crabtree Nature Preserve: 847-381-6592
Palatine Road, Barrington 60010

Stillman Nature Center: 847-428-OWLS
33 West Penny Rd, South Barrington 60010

JFK Health World: 847-842-9100
1303 S Grove, Barrington 60010


Who may vote?

If you are a U.S. citizen and will be 18 years old on or before the next election, you may vote. You must register at least one month before the election. You may register to vote at the following locations. You will need two pieces of identification, and one must include your preprinted residence address. You can use a utility bill, driver's license, or preprinted checkbook as identification.

Office of the Cook County Clerk
Barrington Township Office - Barrington Township residents
Palatine Township Office - Palatine Township residents
South Barrington Village Hall
Secretary of State's Office (under the Motor Voter Law)

Where Do I Vote?

After you register to vote, you will receive in the mail a Voter's Registration Card from Cook County. The voting jurisdictions are listed on that card. Polling places for elections are currently under review and may then be subject to change.

When Do I Vote?

Election Day is always on a Tuesday. You may vote at any time from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. If you are physically unable to get to your polling place or will be out of town on Election Day, you may vote absentee in person at the South Barrington Village Hall or by mail prior to Election Day.

Absentee Voting: To vote absentee by mail, application must be made not more than 30 days nor less than 5 days before an election. If voting absentee in person, you may vote as late as three days before the election.

What Kinds of Elections Are There?

Primary Election: A primary is a party election to nominate candidates for political parties. Illinois uses a closed primary system that requires that voters select the party they will be nominating candidates for. The general primary election is held on the third Tuesday in March in even-numbered years, and the consolidated primary election is held on the last Tuesday in February in odd-numbered years.

General Election: In the general election, federal, state, county, judges, university trustees, sanitary district trustees, and special district officers are elected. General elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November in even ­numbered years.

Consolidated Election: The consolidated election is held on the first Tuesday in April in odd-numbered years. At the consolidated elections, most municipal officials, library trustees, park district commissioners, township officers, highway commissioners, and school boards are elected. Village of South Barrington officials are elected in the consolidated election.

Nonpartisan Election: Nonpartisan elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November in odd-numbered years. Nonpartisan elections are held for positions where no political affiliation might apply.

Referendum: Referenda are questions proposed by various legislative bodies that are brought to the public for a vote. Referenda may be advisory only while others are binding.

Contact Offices
Barrington Township Offices:
602 South Hough Street, Barrington, IL 60010 (847) 381-5632
Monday Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

 Palatine Township Offices:
721 South Quentin Road, Palatine, IL 60067 (847) 358-6700
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. 

Cook County Offices:
General Information: County Building
118 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60602 (312) 603-5500

Rolling Meadows Circuit Court District 3 & County Offices
2121 Euclid Avenue, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008 (847) 818-2000
County Clerk, Assessor's Office, Recorder of Deeds, Vital Statistics, Social Services, Law Library


South Barrington's waste hauler is Groot Industries.   Pick up is Monday.  Following are some guidelines for your refuse and recycling needs.
Garbage, recycling, and yard waste should be at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on Monday. Please do not set out garbage until Sunday evening and remove your empty cans and bins from the curb in the afternoon or evening after pickup as a courtesy to your neighbors.

Call Groot to start garbage service or print out form and mail in.  Their phone number is 847-776-1720.  The fax number is 847-734-6400.  Groot will provide you with the monthly rates for curbside and backdoor service.  Recycling bins can be purchased at the Village Hall or ordered from Groot directly when you start your service.   Please put your address on your bins. Lids are available at additional cost.  

Yard waste is handled separately from regular refuse. Yard waste bags or bundles must have a prepaid sticker attached. Stickers are available for purchase at the Village Hall. Grass cuttings and leaves must be placed in biodegradable paper bags. Brush and branches must be bound with rope or twine in bundles not exceeding four feet in length and two feet in diameter. Each bundle must be limited to 45 pounds.

Following is a list of materials that may be recycled:

Paper Materials (place in brown paper bag)
*newspaper (place in brown paper bag) *junk mail (envelopes, ads, postcards) *magazines and catalogs
*phone books
*paper (school, office, computer, file stock) *chipboard (cracker, cereal, pasta, gift, shoe boxes)-set out under bin
*corrugated cardboard boxes (flattened)

Non-paper Materials
*brown, green, clear glass bottles & jars
*aluminum cans and aluminum foil
*steel cans
*2 liter soda bottles
*floor wax bottles
*milk jugs, margarine tubs, laundry detergent jugs
*lids from tubs or coffee cans
*syrup bottles
*take-out food containers/vitamin bottles
*ketchup bottles

Non-leaking automobile batteries can be put out on the regular garbage day.

For bulk items, such as mattresses, and for appliance pickups, call Groot in advance to make arrangements for pickup at no additional charge. Appliances include refrigerators, air conditioners, washers, dryers, water coolers, dishwashers, hot water heaters, humidifiers, ranges and stoves.

Small amounts of "construction debris" from home do-it-yourself remodeling projects may be set out on regular garbage days. It must be properly containerized or in bundles limited to four feet in length and 45 pounds. Residents must call Groot in advance to make arrangements for larger amounts or materials from work performed by contractors. There will be an extra charge for pickup of these materials.

Tires cannot be picked up because they are banned from landfills. Most service stations and tire retailers will accept automobile tires for a small fee.

In addition, hazardous and toxic waste materials such as pesticides, herbicides, and paint cannot be put out with the garbage. To check on specific items you are not sure about, please call Groot.

If a holiday falls on Monday, pickup will be made one day later than usual. Holidays that may affect the schedule are New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Christmas.



The Village Code of Ordinances can be seen online by clicking the above link or you may review a copy at the Village Hall.  Printed copies of individual ordinances are available for a fee.   In addition to Village ordinances, each subdivision has a Homeowners Association that retains a copy of the Covenants and Restrictions for that subdivision.

Ordinances you will want to be familiar with concern animal control, open burning, home alarm systems, inoperable vehicles, recreational vehicle storage and parking restrictions.

Residential street maps and zoning maps of the Village of South Barrington are available at the Village Hall for $5.00 each.

Algonquin, Barrington, Route 59, Higgins, and Palatine roads are State of Illinois roads. Any questions or problems may be directed to the Illinois Department of Transportation at (847) 705-4600.

Bartlett, Mundhank, Penny, and Freeman are Cook County Roads. Please call (847) 397-4145.

All other approved or dedicated streets are in the Village of South Barrington and are maintained by the Village or a subdivision developer.

Business people and those seeking charitable contributions may not solicit in the Village of South Barrington without a license.

There are over 30 subdivisions, most of which have homeowners associations with Declarations of Covenants and Restrictions that govern each subdivision. To get a copy of your subdivision's Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions, contact your Homeowner's Association President.  The Village Hall maintains a list of the HOA Presidents.

Please review your Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions to determine what your rights and obligations are as a member of your homeowners association. There are often rules and regulations in those covenants, which govern the use of property within your subdivision.


Building permits are required for some home improvements and for all new construction. New construction may require architectural approval through the homeowner association. Permits are required for the construction of a deck, gazebo, swimming pool, driveway monuments, tennis courts, septic repair, driveway repaving, and some types of remodeling (basement, bonus room, attic finishing). If you are not sure whether the remodeling work you are doing requires a permit, please call the Building Official at the Village Hall at 847-381-7510.

Getting a permit is one way to insure that the work done in your home meets the building codes and specifications. If work is done in and around your home without a permit and it has been determined that one is required, there may be fines and penalties associated with the work. It is always better to check with the Village before undergoing any project.

Mailboxes in masonry structures are not permitted in the Village. Call the Barrington Post Office for specifications for mailboxes. Keep in mind that mailboxes that protrude into the street are in the path of the snowplows, and may be damaged. Masonry mailboxes and those that are installed improperly will not be repaired by the Village's snowplow contractors if they receive snowplow-related damage.

If you are doing any digging around the house, please also be sure to call J.U.L.I.E. at 1-800-892-0123.

Home | Property Info | Hidden Lakes Subdivision | South Barrington | Contact